I’m an award-winning journalist who writes about health, fitness, parenting, sports and pop culture. I’m also author of Sound Check Mama, a blog about pop culture, parenting, health, sports, and travel. I look forward to putting my skills to work for you.
WHERE MY WORK HAS APPEARED
VisitSouth.com, Travel Guide to the South: As the Insider for Huntsville, Ala., I kept travelers up to date on where to stay and play when they are in the Rocket City.
Volta Voices magazine
• Get in the Game: How children with cochlear implants can benefit from playing sports
• Ring, Ring Goes the Bell: Must-have school gear for children with assistive hearing devices
• In Case of Emergency: 8 ways to make sure your child with hearing loss knows what to do
Birmingham Parent magazine
• Sound Advice: Early diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss
• Kids with Food Allergies: Resources for making life easier
• Relax, Mom: Melt stress with these tips on unwinding
• Baby Myths: The truth about those old wives’ tales
• What About Me? Siblings of children with special needs deserve quality time, too
Game On magazine (Dick’s Sporting Goods), Running Matters, Pick up the pace to improve body and mind
The Writer Mama e-zine: Columnist
Writers on the Rise e-zine: Columnist
The Huntsville Times
• MySpace friends gotta band together
• Rock junkie mom finds drummer is regular guy
• But seriously, I only love them for their music
• From world of silence to high-tech hearing
• Football: Her take on the game
• Play ball! A woman’s guide to America’s favorite pastime
OTHER JOBS THAT MADE ME A GOOD WRITER
• Department Secretary: Huntsville Hospital Pediatric Audiology, Huntsville, Ala., March 2010 to present. Edit and proof department communications, manage schedules for three audiologists, maintain patient records, offer support to families of children with hearing loss.
• News & features copy editor: The Huntsville Times, Huntsville, Ala., October 2000 to January 2010.
• Sports copy editor: The Dallas Morning News, Dallas, Texas, October 1999 to September 2000.
• Assistant sports editor, sports writer: The TimesDaily, Florence, Ala., January 1997 to October 1999.
• Staff writer: The Moulton Advertiser, Moulton, Ala., February 1996 to September 1996.
• Media specialist: Trans-Media Advertising, Decatur, Ala., January 1995 to February 1996; September 1996 to January 1997.
• Gold Award in Parenting Media Association contest for a news story on “Sports Concussions” for Birmingham Parent.
• First place for Sports Non-Deadline Reporting in Alabama Associated Press contest for Series on Huntsville, Ala., minor league baseball team while at The TimesDaily.
• Second place for Best In-depth News Story or Series in Alabama Press Association contest for story on Lawrence County, Ala., Commission questioning attorney’s fees while at The Moulton Advertiser.
• Honorable mention for Headline Writing with colleagues on The Huntsville Times copy desk in Alabama Associated Press contest.
WHERE I LEARNED THE BASICS
University of North Alabama, Florence, AL. Graduated cum laude in December 1994. Bachelor of Science, major in Journalism, minor in Radio-TV-Film. Worked on yearbook staff, in computer lab, and completed internship in The TimesDaily sports department.
Mac and PC proficient, experience with Quark Xpress, PhotoShop, a bit of HTML.
Created and maintain a blog and a Web site. Experience shooting photos and video. Comfortable with social media like FaceBook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr.
PEOPLE WHO LIKE MY WORK
Matt Wixon, reporter and columnist, The Dallas Morning News, 508 Young Street, Dallas, TX 75202. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. 214-977-7684.
Ann Marie Martin, communications director, Huntsville-Madison County Public Library, 915 Monroe Street, Huntsville, AL 35801. Email: email@example.com. 256-532-2361.
Carol Evans, editor and publisher, Birmingham Parent magazine, 700-C Southgate Drive, Pelham, AL 35124. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. 205-987-7700.